The aim of the solution
The Logipix Border Surveillance solution was designed to monitor long, open-air border sections and if it is possible, to cover their surrounding area too in several kilometers of horizontal depth. Logipix provides automatic detection of trespassers by various features, which are related to different levels of system constructions. Integrated PID System, accurate VCA-based object tracking and object classification help operators locate intruders and guide patrol units.
The solution adapts to different environmental conditions. It can act as an alternative to fences or walls but also strengthens existing ones.
Main Hardware Components
- Logipix ONE Panorama Cameras up to 1 Gigapixel
- Logipix ONE 20 MP Camera
- Logipix 6 MP PTZ Camera
- 3rd-party Thermal PTZ Camera
- 3rd-party 3D Microwave Radar
- 3rd-party IR Laser Illuminator
- Logipix Network Video Recorders 4th Generation
Features and Functions
- Stitched panoramic images up to 1 Gigapixel resolution
- Panorama synchronization and white balance correction
- Video Content Analysis
- Multiple target tracking
- Continuous target localization
- Automatic object classification
- Integration with PIDS
- ePTZ function
- Integration with Thermal PTZs
- Unique PTZ control functions
- On-site recording
Monitoring with Panorama cameras
Logipix developed high-end Panorama cameras with a resolution of up to 1 Gigapixel. Sixteen camera-lens combinations are placed in a massive, durable camera housing and three of these can be combined to reach the enormous 1 Gigapixel resolution. The individual images are merged by a unique stitching technology, which does not simply overlap the images but geometrically merges them together at the image borders. All built-in cameras of the Logipix Panorama take their images in a synchronized fashion. As a result of the synchronized images there is no duplication or missing objects in the image stream. This way operators always know the exact number of offending individuals within the monitored area.
The resolution of a single Panorama allows for the effective monitoring of an 8 km2 area and also for the automatic detection of individuals from a distance of up to 3 km. The Panorama cameras provide better spatial awareness for operators in areas that are usually lack of distinguishable landmarks.
The Logipix Panoramas have excellent low-light performance and deliver wide dynamic range images. They can be also supplemented with 3rd-party, continuous light IR Laser Illuminators, which allow them to operate effectively even in complete darkness.
Monitoring with single cameras
In special cases when the terrain does not allow to use Panorama cameras or there is an already built wall or fence at the border and the customer needs video surveillance along the built defense line, there is possibility to use single 20 MP cameras. The Logipix 20 MP cameras provide wide dynamic range images, which means they deliver informative details of both shady and bright areas. Logipix IR Laser Illuminators provide effective visibility conditions at night.
Target detection and localization
In order to detect targets effectively within a monitored area, operators cannot rely only on the high-resolution images. Logipix therefore developed various detection methods that also mean different levels of system constructions.
At level I. the system does not use computer vision technologies to detect trespassers but integrates PID Systems. When a motion sensor sends an alarm signal, it triggers the ePTZ function on the panoramic or single image and a pre-configured image area appears in a special zoom window.
Logipix automatically guides the attention of operators to the area of interest and display an archive video loop of the trigger event. Thus they can immediately explore the situation and further investigate or acknowledge it. An event grid makes search easier for operators among past events.
For more accurate and efficient detection, Logipix developed a VCA-based detection method. It relies on a Multidimensional Gaussian Background Model that continuously adapts to the background. This way it is able to differentiate moving objects from the moving parts of the landscape such as plants blown by the wind. The VCA accurately detects individuals within the monitored area even if they are kilometers away. It is also capable of simultaneous multiple target tracking in a single panoramic image. Thanks to the ePTZ function the detected individuals appear in zoom windows as well.
Even if operators see something suspicious in the live images, exact localization can be very difficult at natural border areas. Logipix developed a feature that provides continuous, real-time GPS-coordinates and distance information of the detected objects. This way operators can effectively guide patrol units to targets.
In typical open-air border areas the VCA does not only have to deal with the background of the environment, but also with moving animals, which are able to generate many false alarms. Logipix engineers developed an automatic object classification feature wherewith the system is able to filter the detected objects and therefore avoid false alarms caused by irrelevant moving objects.
Operators can track the generated events and related archive videos on a simple software interface, called Decision Making Support Interface. They can change to live view immediately if necessary.
PTZ and Thermal PTZ Cameras in the system
The system can be completed with Logipix PTZ cameras. Utilizing the resolution and optical capabilities of the 6 MP PTZ cameras, operators can get informative images of objects at far distances. Thanks to the built-in IR Laser Illuminators the cameras are able to deliver useful visual information on individuals even at night. The PTZ can be configured to turn to the exact direction where an alarm comes from, thus finding targets automatically. Both the PID System and the VCA can trigger the PTZs.
Although their resolution is relatively low and spacial orientation is difficult with them, integrated Thermal PTZ cameras can be useful parts of the Logipix Border Surveillance Solution. These cameras can see in complete darkness, smoke or fog without any artificial illumination and provide accurate alarm verification.
3D Microwave Radar
The Logipix Border Surveillance solution can be supplemented by 3rd party 3D Microwave Radars that continuously monitor the border area, optimizing the detection of illegal border crossings. They are configured to provide pre-alarms if a suspicious object enters their range.
The Logipix Panorama and the 6 MP PTZ camera housings are equipped with automatic self-cleaning systems. These consist of wipers and washers that deliver the cleaning liquid from a water tank to the front glasses of the camera houses. This hardware feature is essential at border areas since it makes maintenance convenient and easy, in addition it significantly reduces maintenance costs.
In order to avoid the need for a fiber optic infrastructure hundreds of kilometers long, Logipix created the possibility of on-site recording. In case of a huge amount of visual data, recording cannot rely on ordinary NVRs. The 4th generation of Logipix NVRs are specially designed to record and store the panoramic image stream at 20 fps. They can be installed in special weather- and vandal-proof outdoor rack cabinets with integrated thermal management to operate on-site.
- End-to-end solution – Logipix provides a complex solution consisting of high-end Panorama cameras, Network Video Recorders and a specially developed VMS.
- Full coverage along immense border sections – A few Panorama cameras are able to fully cover many kilometers of border sections with high resolution.
- Automated monitoring – The Logipix Control Center is developed to automatically guide the attention of operators to spots where threats occur.
- Automatic detection from kilometers away – The system accurately detects illegal border crossings. Humans can be detected from up to 3 kilometers away.
- Multiple target tracking and localization – Once targets have been detected, they can be tracked by the ePTZ function. Current GPS coordinates of targets are continuously displayed, so border patrol units can easily find them on the field.
- Object classification – Logipix ensures automatic, VCA based object classification in order to filter false alarms.
- Effective operation under all lighting conditions – Illegal crossings are more frequent under low visibility conditions. Thanks to IR Laser Illuminators and Thermal PTZ cameras, operators can see in complete darkness, smoke and fog.
- Operation in extreme weather conditions – All components of the Logipix Border Surveillance solution are built to resist extreme cold, heat and other environmental conditions.