Critical Infrastructure security challenges
Critical infrastructure facilities play a key role in maintaining a nation’s society and economy. It is crucial to protect these critical infrastructure areas and other important industrial sites from potential threats.
The entry of unauthorized people or objects must be prohibited in all relevant areas of such facilities. Motion detection sensors may not be sufficient for proper protection, and common security camera systems are unable to cover the whole area efficiently. PID systems frequently generate false alarms, and most camera systems lack the required image resolution to retrieve relevant visual information at great distances.
The aim of the Logipix Critical Infrastructure Video Surveillance solution
The aim of the solution is to protect critical infrastructure sites such as power plants, oil refineries and other industrial facilities from potential threats. To make these environments more secure and smoothly controlled, Logipix created high-end hardware and software components, along with automatic surveillance technologies, that together form an efficient system.
Hardware & software components
- 20 MP Logipix ONE camera
- 200 MP Logipix Panorama camera
- Logipix 3D microwave radar
- 6 MP Logipix PTZ camera
- 5 km, 2 MP Logipix Long Range PTZ camera
- Logipix Network Video Recorder
- Logipix Control Center client and server software
Features & functions
- 200 MP stitched panoramic images
- Panorama synchronization and white balance correction
- Multi-level intrusion detection
- Integration with PID systems
- Video Content Analysis
- Traffic management
- ePTZ function
- PPM expansion
- Unique PTZ control functions
The system architecture
High-end Panorama cameras
Logipix engineers created a high-end Panorama camera that uses a unique stitching technology. The feature does not simply overlap the images of individual sensors but geometrically merges them together at the image borders. All built-in cameras of the Logipix Panorama take their pictures in a synchronized fashion. Thanks to the synchronized images there are no glitches or missing objects in the image stream, which could otherwise lead to serious misunderstandings. White balance correction is also available to smoothen the color gradient between the images if needed.
Panoramic image without white balance correction
The Logipix panoramic image with white balance correction
Panoramic image without image synchronization
Panoramic image without image synchronization
The PTZ cameras of the Logipix Critical Infrastructure Video Surveillance solution help create a safe and undisturbed environment. The solution features useful automatic control functions, but operators can control the PTZ cameras manually as well.
The PTZs are able to automatically turn to any areas where preconfigured alarms arise, and they can also track the motion of suspicious objects. This allows the operators to obtain more details on the unfolding situation in time.
Operators can control the PTZ cameras interactively with a special control function on the associated panoramic image by selecting a target area. They can also move the PTZ by using a mouse-controlled joystick emulation or by simple clicking on the image created by the PTZ camera.
Advanced Video Content Analysis
The Logipix VCA is able to automatically detect objects that pose a threat to normal operation in specific areas of the facility. This includes, for instance, the detection of fire, animal, human or vehicle presence where it is forbidden.
The Logipix VCA relies on a Multidimensional Gaussian Background Model to continuously adapt to the background. This helps avoid any false alarms usually generated by the moving parts of background objects, such as plants blown by the wind.
The Critical Infrastructure Video Surveillance solution provides multi-level, automatic intrusion detection functions.
Certain areas within the facility can be armed or disarmed individually. In the armed state, different areas can provide alarms of various severity levels around the monitored objects in case of a detected motion.
The fence is the first line of defense of critical infrastructures with a standard layout. The Logipix cameras can be arranged in a structure that provides full coverage of the perimeter area. It is also possible to have automatic tours which scan through the entire environment where the VCA can detect any illegal activity.
If there is no fence on the critical infrastructure perimeter, the area can be monitored with a Panorama camera from a single point of view. Either case, the VCA can rely on the quality images and detect any movement near the perimeter. There are different levels of alarm, allowing operators to prepare and only react to actual incidents in the interest of efficient prevention.
In order to ensure effective monitoring of internal roads and footpaths the system automatically detects speeding vehicles and wrong-way driving. There is also the possibility of detecting objects that leave their designated paths.
In the Control Room
Our Video Management Software, the Logipix Control Center, has several specially developed functions that facilitate video surveillance at critical infrastructure sites. Operators do not have to split their attention between several individual image streams; instead they can monitor the entire area easily by watching large panoramic images. Operators can retrieve minute details of certain situations by using the PTZ cameras with their various automatic and manual control functions.
The Logipix Control Center allows operators to assign two camera images, one inside the other, forming the PPM expansion function. This way a certain area within the panoramic image can be observed with much higher resolution. The software also provides the so-called ePTZ function, which creates an automatic zoom on the panoramic image to a preconfigured area if a trigger event occurs.
Our VMS also makes it possible to create an automatic alternation of monitor profiles once alarms arrive to its interface. In addition, archive footage can be displayed on the monitor profile alongside the live images.
- 200 MP panoramic images – The Logipix Panorama cameras provide a resolution high enough to recognize objects automatically even at great distances.
- Automatic detection of incidents – With accurate VCA based on high-resolution images, Logipix is able to detect damage, sabotage, loitering, and the presence of drones, fire, smoke, animals, vehicles or humans where these are not allowed.
- Reliable perimeter protection – Whether the perimeter area is observed by individual cameras alongside the fence or monitored by Panorama and PTZ cameras, all intrusion events are detected. False alarm rates are minimized.
- Visibility in all lighting and weather conditions – Equipped with IR laser illuminators and featuring various software-based picture enhancement algorithms, Logipix cameras deliver stunning images 24/7, even in severe weather conditions.
- Irrefutable visual evidence – In case of an incident, any frame of the sharp and clear Logipix footage can act as irrefutable evidence during an investigation.
- Bandwidth-effective – Logipix components utilize the scalability of the JPEG2000 compression standard when transmitting and displaying images. This allows the system to manage hundreds of megapixels of visual information.
- Cost-effective – The Logipix Panorama camera single-handedly replaces hundreds of conventional Full HD cameras and features an automatic self-cleaning system. This allows Logipix to minimize installation and maintenance costs.