Border security challenges
Nations face many contemporary issues at their borders. Protecting borders is important in order to stop illegal crossings, human trafficking and smuggling.
Borders may contain sections many kilometers long where the terrain allows for humans or vehicles to cross. This makes it extremely difficult to efficiently monitor and protect these areas. Fences or walls can be built along the borders, but they are usually ineffective by themselves. PID systems sometimes generate accidental false alarms, and criminals can abuse these systems by triggering alarms intentionally to distract patrol units.
Logipix recognized the need of a technological innovation in this field and developed an end-to-end surveillance solution to effectively monitor borders and adjacent large-scale areas.
The aim of the Logipix Border Surveillance solution
The Logipix Border Surveillance solution was designed to provide a high-resolution virtual wall consisting of 200 MP images taken by high-end Panorama cameras. Thanks to specially-developed pioneer technologies, Logipix is able to automatically detect illegal activities regardless of the lighting and environmental conditions. The solution also helps guide patrol units to the exact spot where real threats arise.
Hardware & software components
- Logipix ONE 200 MP Panorama camera
- 3rd-party Thermal PTZ camera
- 3rd-party 3D Microwave Radar
- Logipix 6 MP PTZ camera
- 3rd-party IR Laser illuminator
- Logipix Network Video Recorders
- Logipix Control Center client and server software
Features & functions
- 200 MP stitched panoramic images
- Panorama synchronization and white balance correction
- Thermal images
- Video Content Analysis
- Multiple target tracking
- Continuous target localization
- Integration with PID systems
- ePTZ function
- PTZ Auto-tracking
- Unique PTZ control functions
- On-site recording
Monitoring with Panorama cameras
Logipix developed a high-end Panorama camera with 200 MP resolution. Sixteen camera-lens combinations are placed in a massive, durable camera housing. The individual images are merged by a unique stitching technology, which does not simply overlap the images but geometrically merges them together at the image borders. All built-in cameras of the Logipix Panorama take their images in a synchronized fashion. As a result of the synchronized images there is no duplication or missing objects in the image stream. This way operators always know the exact number of offending individuals within the monitored area.
The resolution allows for the effective monitoring of an area of 6 km2 and also automatic detection of individuals from a distance of up to 3 km. A few Panorama cameras can be arranged in a structure that can cover many kilometers of a border section and its surrounding areas. They also provide better spatial awareness for operators in areas that usually lack distinguishable landmarks.
The Logipix Panoramas have excellent low-light performance and deliver wide dynamic range images. They can be also supplemented with 3rd-party, continuous light IR Laser illuminators, which allows them to operate effectively even in complete darkness.
Target detection and localization
In order to detect targets effectively within a monitored area, operators cannot rely only on the high-resolution images. Logipix therefore developed an accurate VCA-based detection method. It relies on a Multidimensional Gaussian Background Model that continuously adapts to the background, thus helping to avoid any false alarms usually generated by the moving parts of the landscape such as plants blown by the wind.
The VCA accurately detects individuals within the monitored area even if they are kilometers away. It is also capable of multiple target tracking in a single panoramic image. Thanks to the ePTZ function the detected individual appears in a configured zoom window as well. The ePTZ function can also be triggered by PID alarm signals.
Even if operators see something suspicious in the live images, exact localization can be very difficult at natural border areas. Logipix developed a feature that provides continuous, real-time GPS-coordinates and distance information of the detected objects. This way operators can effectively guide patrol units to targets.
PTZ and Thermal cameras in the system
Integrated PTZ cameras are important components of the system. Utilizing the resolution and optical capabilities of the 6 MP PTZ cameras, operators can view small details of objects at far distances. Thanks to the built-in IR Laser illuminators the cameras are able to deliver useful visual information on individuals even at night. The PTZ can be programmed to turn to the exact direction where an alarm comes from, thus finding targets automatically. Both the PID system and the VCA can trigger the PTZs. Thanks to the PTZ auto-tracking function, operators never lose sight of illegally positioned individuals.
Thermal cameras can double as the Logipix PTZs in the system. These cameras can see in complete darkness, smoke or fog without any artificial illumination, and thus provide accurate alarm verification.
3D Microwave Radar
The Logipix Border Surveillance solution is supplemented by 3rd party 3D Microwave radars that continuously monitor the border area, thus optimizing the detection of illegal border crossings. They are configured to provide pre-alarms if a suspicious object enters their range.
The Logipix Panorama and the 6 MP PTZ camera housings are equipped with automatic self-cleaning systems. These consist of wipers and washers that deliver the cleaning liquid from a water tank to the front glasses of the housings. These hardware features are essential at border areas since they make maintenance convenient and easy, in addition to significantly reducing costs.
In order to avoid the need for a fiber optic infrastructure hundreds of kilometers long, Logipix created the possibility of on-site recording. In case of a huge amount of visual data, recording cannot rely on ordinary NVRs. The 3rd generation of Logipix NVRs are specially designed to record and store the 200 MP resolution, 20 FPS video stream of the Panorama camera. They can be installed in special weather- and vandal-proof outdoor rack cabinets with integrated thermal management to operate on-site.
The main advantages
- End-to-end solution – Logipix provides a complex solution consisting of high-end IP cameras, Network Video Recorders and a specially developed VMS.
- Full coverage along immense border sections – A few Panorama cameras are able to fully cover many kilometers of border sections with high resolution.
- Automated monitoring – The Logipix Control Center is developed to automatically guide the attention of operators to spots where threats arise.
- Automatic detection from kilometers away – The system accurately detect illegal border crossings. Humans can be detected from up to 3 kilometers away.
- Multiple target tracking and localization – Once targets have been detected they can be tracked either by the ePTZ function or the auto-tracking function of the PTZ cameras. Current GPS coordinates of targets are continuously displayed, so border patrol units can easily find them on the field.
- Alarm verification – Operators can accurately filter false alarms, even if they are accidental in nature or caused an act of sabotage.
- Effective operation under all lighting conditions – Illegal crossings are more frequent under low visibility conditions. Thanks to IR Laser illuminators and Thermal PTZ cameras, operators can see in complete darkness, smoke and fog.
- Operation in extreme weather conditions – All components of the Logipix Border Surveillance solution are built to resist extreme cold, heat and other environmental conditions.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /mnt/data/web/stp_41/templates/gk_game/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 185